Reborn with a completely new frame and 27+ wheels the Cannondale Beast of the East features fun trail geometry. This makes it more confident and capable over challenging terrain than traditional hardtail MTBs.
27 plus wheels
Built from the ground up for 27.5 plus wheels the Beast of the East features a slack head angle and short chainstays to make the best of this new wheel size. Wide rims and high volume tyres 27+ are a real bonus on a hardtail as they provide more grip and better cushioning. The ability to run lower tyre pressures combined with the large tyre diameter (similar to a 29er) allows you to take on much more challenging terrain than you would on a traditional hardtail.
AI and Save Stays
The frame is built with lightweight, smartformed, alloy tubes and features an Asymmetric Integration (AI) drivetrain that which allows for wider tyres whilst retaining a sensible Q-Factor and short chainstays. This means that your stance isn’t too wide and the handling is nimble and responsive.
Save Stays (profiled seat and chainstays) provide a compliant ride without affecting pedaling efficiency or handling performance.
With a bit more suspension travel than you would expect on a hardtail – to match the rough terrain capabilities of the plus sized wheels – the Lefty 2.0 fork offers plush bump absorption performance.
Offering a wide gear range with slick, reliable shifting the SRAM X1/GX drivetrain is a perfect choice on such a capable trail hardtail. Chain retention is excellent, even over very rough terrain, thanks to the clutch mech and the 30t SpideRing.
Whether you are a trail veteran or an MTB newbie the Cannondale Beast of the East 1 will give you the confidence to tackle more challenging terrain than you would on a conventional hardtail.
Key Features :
- A maximum traction, maximum fun, trail hardtail
- Great for shredders and newbies alike.
- The rebirth of a legend.
- 27. 5 + Tyres – This new standard changes the way hardtails perform over rough terrain. 27.5+ offers the rolling diameter of a 29er for an incredible angle of approach. The added width gives you an incredible contact patch that lets you grip the corners like never before, float over nasty rocks and roots and hit the roughest lines with confidence.
- Designed For 27+ – Unlike many “27+” bikes out there which are really just repurposed 29’ers running 2.8 tyres, the Beast of the East is designed specifically for 27+. Room for full 3.0 tyres, Ai drivetrain, short chainstays and dialled geometry means better performance and more fun.
- AI (Asymmetric Integration) Drivetrain – Our Ai technology allows us to fit those big 3.0 tyres and still keep our chainstays short and nimble. By asymmetrically offsetting the rear triangle and moving the drivetrain 6mm to the right, we gain clearance for the tyres without wrecking the q-factor. As a bonus, the rear wheels ends up being stiffer and stronger thanks to even spoke angles.
- Smartformed Alloy Frame – Cannondale’s storied Aluminium histor y continues with the Beast of the East. The SmartFormed alloy frame has been tweaked to be light and responsive, features Save stays for added comfort and adds tech with the new flat mount brake for reduced weight with increased heel clearance.
- 120MM Forks – A bike this capable deserves a bit more travel than you’d expect on a hardtail.
- Fun Trail Set-Up – A 68.5 degree head angle, short chainstays and a 120mm fork combine to allow the Beast of the East ridden hard over the nastiest terrain. The slack trail geo pairs nicely with wide 760mm bars and a 60mm stem for total control and fun confidence.
- Internal Dropper Routing – Clean, internal routing through the seat tube for dropper posts
The Cannondale Beast of the East 1 27.5″ 2017 Features are:
Frame: Beast of the East 27+, 120mm, SmartFormed Alloy, Ai offset, BB30, Flat Mount Brake, 1.5 Si headtube
Fork: Lefty 2.0 Alloy OPI, 120mm, Isolated Damper Technology with Trail+ tune and updated controls, 55mm offset
Headset: Cannondale HeadShok Si
Bars: Cannondale C3 riser, Alloy, 4 degree upsweep, 9 degree backsweep, 760x15mmCannondale Locking Grips
Stem: Cannondale C3, 6061 Alloy, 1.5″, 31.8, 5 deg.
Shifters: SRAM GX, 11-speed
Front Mech: N/A
Rear Mech: SRAM X1, 11-speed
Chainset: Cannondale Si, Ai, BB30, SpideRing 30t
Bottom Bracket: Cannondale Alloy BB30
Cassette: SRAM XG-1150, 10-42, 11-speed
Chain: SRAM PC-X1, 11-speed
Front Brake: Shimano Deore, Resin pads, 180mm
Rear Brake: Shimano Deore, Resin pads, 180mm
Rims: WTB Scraper i45 27.5″, 45mm, tubeless ready
Front Hub: Lefty 60
Rear Hub: Formula with XD driver, 142x12mm (Ai offset lacing)
Tyres: WTB Bridger, 27.5×3.0, tubeless ready Front – WTB Bridger, 27.5×3.0, tubeless ready Rear
Seatpost: Trans-X Dropper, 31.6mm, 120mm travel
Pedals: Not Included